Friday, February 26, 2010

My first new blog so I chose David Hayter :)

David Hayter and Black Widow the movie. Now a long time ago David Hayter had begun writing a script for a movie adaptation of the comic book character Black Widow a.k.a Natasha Romanoff(who you can see in Iron Man 2). But then it mysteriously disappeared from the chatter and was decided by marvel that it wouldn't be made. This was upsetting to many fans of David Hayter's work. For those of you that don't know David Hayter wrote X-Men 1&2 and the screenplay for the Watchmen movie, as well he is the voice of the great and infamous Snake form the Metal Gear Solid series. So what happened to the movie? Well in the book TALES FROM THE SCRIPT: 50 HOLLYWOOD SCREENWRITERS SHARE THEIR STORIES David Hayter reveals what happened, here's his story taken from latinoreview.com :

An excerpt:


DAVID HAYTER: I had a very solid relationship with Marvel, having worked on a number of films with them, and I was looking for something to write and direct. They brought up Black Widow, and I knew the character very well from the comic book. So I spent about a year working on the script, and I was extremely happy with it. Essentially, the story is a young Russian girl’s parents are killed, so she’s given to the KGB to be developed into a super spy. In her early teen years, the Soviet Union crumbles, so they decide to kill her. But at that point, she’s too tough to kill, so she escapes and makes her way to America. Then, years later, we catch up with her in present day. She’s a freelance mercenary, and she’s called back to where she was brought up to face her past. What I tried to do was use the backdrop of the splintered Soviet Empire – a lawless insane asylum with four hundred some odd nuclear missile silos. It was all about loose nukes, and I felt it was very timely and very cool. Unfortunately, as I was coming up on the final draft, a number of female vigilante movies came out. We had Tomb Raider and Kill Bill, which were the ones that worked, but then we had BloodRayne and Ultraviolet and Aeon Flux. Aeon Flux didn’t open well, and three days after it opened, the studio said, “We don’t think it’s time to do this movie.” I accepted their logic in terms of the saturation of the marketplace, but it was pretty painful. I had not only invested a lot of time in that movie, but I had also named my daughter, who was born in that time period Natasha – after the lead character in Black Widow. I named my daughter after a movie that I wasn’t working on anymore".

So i personally think this movie would have been amazing and i really wish it would have come out especially since BloodRayne, and Ultraviolet sucked, and personally I don't really like Kill Bill. Not to mention Black Widow is a great character and I love the work of David Hayter, not to mention if anyone could write a superhero/spy movie, he's the man for the job. I hope in the future Marvel decides to pick it up again.
Love ya David!

No comments:

Post a Comment